Sustainable development goals (SDGs): Facilitating Knowledge2Action in South Asia
Dialogue Workshop | January 16-17, 2020 | Bangalore, India
Invitation for participation in a dialogue workshop among academic knowledge producers and SDG actors
Knowledge producers are researchers who promote understanding on SDG related issues, like environmental sustainability and social well-being. SDG actors are those who promote and implement SDGs: policy-makers/planners, activists, journalists, community workers, educators, governmental and civil society organization, and responsible businesses.
Research plays a key role in addressing the SDGs, however, the need to consolidate and effectively communicate this knowledge still remains a challenge. Much research has been conducted focusing on tracing the causes contributing to environmental degradation and social ill-being and the interconnection between the two. Innovation in planning, implementation and practices guided by research has also contributed to promote the SDGs. Yet, research outputs ought to correspond better to the needs of those who use, implement and disseminate SDG relevant knowledge, by considering local South Asian contexts of environmental and social issues, regulatory mechanisms and people’s place-based perception and expertise.
This dialogue workshop aims to:
- Collectively identify and assess the forms of knowledge and collaboration requirements in the South Asian context to promote SDGs
- Synthesize and broker knowledge for SDGs relating to environmental sustainability and social well-being produced by Swiss-South Asia collaborations
- Empower knowledge producers to communicate and apply knowledge more effectively using an array of tools, skills and platforms
- Facilitate interaction, networking and collaboration between South Asian participants, and between Swiss and South Asian participants to promote relevant SDGs
- Exchange on country-based experiences to inspire other contexts
To achieve this, the workshop will adopt the following format:
- Dialogue between knowledge producers and SDG actors
- Skill-building workshop
- Networking sessions
- Presentations and critical feedback from a diverse audience
- Out-of-the-box formats for consolidating the proceedings of the workshop
This dialogue workshop forms a part of the activities implemented within the cluster Knowledge2Action in South Asia funded by swissuniversities to promote research and education on SDGs. The workshop is co-funded by swissnex India and Swiss It! (A Public Diplomacy Initiative from the Swiss Diplomatic Network in India 2019-20).
Important dates: The deadline to confirm the invitation is 15 November 2019. The participants will be informed by 20 November 2019, and we will provide detailed information about the logistics and operational aspects of the workshop.
Contact: Indian and South-Asian partners please contact Maitree Dasgupta (swissnex India): firstname.lastname@example.org | Swiss partners please contact Swetha Rao Dhananka (University of Applied Science Western Switzerland): Swetha.email@example.com